Facebook-parent Meta introduced a new feature for the social media platform earlier this month. This new feature, named
, that can track the links users click on in the
for up to 30 days. This feature, which is designed to personalise users’ ad experience, is an optional one which has to be enabled by users. The feature has also raised some privacy concerns.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to use this new
Things to remember
However, it is important to note that Facebook doesn’t record the history of links that open directly in an external app or browser. This feature is exclusive to Facebook’s app on Android and iPhone, and isn’t available on the website. Moreover, the feature does not record links visited from Facebook Messenger chats. Apart from this, Facebook only retains
for the past 30 days, after which it is automatically removed from the history.
How to find recently visited links on Facebook
As mentioned above,
Facebook Link History
isn’t a default feature. Users have enabled this feature before to be able to view recently visited links. To enable this feature:
- Open the Facebook app on your Android or iPhone
- Tap on the three horizontal lines in the bottom-right corner (on iOS) or top-right corner (on Android)
- Open the “Settings and Privacy” options, and select “Link History”
- If the feature is disabled, you’ll get a a screen requesting permission to
enable Link History
- To enable the feature and permit Facebook to record your visited links, tap “Allow Link History”
- Once enabled, you will be able to see the history of links you’ve visited on Facebook
How to clear Facebook Link History
Facebook also allows users to clear their link history. Users can remove a specific link from the history or wipe out the history completely. Here’s how to
clear Facebook Link History
- Tap on the three horizontal lines in the bottom-right (or top-right) corner
- Open the “Link History” option in the “Settings and Privacy” menu
- If you want to clear only specific links from the history, tap on a cross next to them.
- To clear the entire link history, tap “Clear All” in the top-right corner
- Then confirm by tapping “Clear” in the confirmation pop-up.
Users can also disable the feature by going to the Settings option and switching off the toggle next to “Allow Link History.” Then, tap “Don’t Allow” in the confirmation pop-up to disable the Link History. It is important to note that once users disable the feature, Facebook will automatically clear the user’s old history. So, once it’s disabled, users won’t be able to view links to previously visited sites.
The Times of India Gadgets Now awards: Cast your vote now and pick the best phones, laptops and other gadgets of 2023