NEW DELHI: Indian fast bowler
delivered an exceptional spell that left Sri Lanka’s batting line-up in tatters, ending their innings for 50 in just 15.2 overs in the Asia Cup 2023 final at the R Premadasa Stadium on Sunday.
Known by his nickname ‘Miyan Magic,’ Siraj showcased his exceptional talent with a spell that will be etched in memory for years to come. During the powerplay, Siraj wreaked havoc with his blistering pace, completely dismantling the Sri Lankan batting order.
Take a look at the records Siraj made during his dream spell:
* Siraj etched his name in the record books by becoming the first Indian bowler to bag four wickets in one over in one-day internationals.
* Siraj matched the record of former Sri Lankan pacer Chaminda Vaas for the fastest ODI five-wicket haul, achieving this remarkable feat in a mere 16 deliveries.
* Siraj’s 6/21 was the best figures against Sri Lanka in an ODI, surpassing Waqar Younis‘ 6/26 in Sharjah in 1990. It was also the second best figures by a bowler in Asia Cup finals.
* His figures were the fourth best among the Indian bowlers after Stuart Binny (6/4), Anil Kumble (6/12) and Jasprit Bumrah (6/19)
* Playing in his 29th ODI, Siraj took 1002 balls to get his 50th wicket in the format — the second quickest for any bowler in the history of ODIs, only behind Sri Lanka’s Ajantha Mendis’ 847 balls, making him the joint-fourth-quickest among all Indian bowlers to get the milestone.