Blue Aadhaar Card
, also known as Baal
Card, is an
issued specifically for children below the age of 5 years in India. It is blue in color to distinguish it from the regular Aadhaar card issued to adults.
Why is a Blue Aadhaar Card different?
Unlike the regular Aadhaar card, which requires biometric data (fingerprints and iris scans) to be collected, the Blue Aadhaar Card does not require any biometric information from the child.
This is because collecting biometric data from young children can be challenging and unreliable. Instead, the child’s UID (
Unique Identification Number
) is generated based on their demographic information and a facial photograph linked to the UID of one of their parents or guardians.
How to apply for a Blue Aadhaar Card:
Here’s how you can apply for a Blue Aadhaar Card for your child:
- Visit an Aadhaar Enrolment Center: Locate an Aadhaar Enrolment Center near you. You can find a list of centers on the
- Carry the required documents: Make sure you have the following documents with you:
- Proof of your child’s date of birth (e.g., birth certificate, immunization card)
- Proof of your identity and address (e.g., your Aadhaar card, voter ID, ration card)
- One recent photograph of your child
- Fill out the
Aadhaar Enrolment Form: At the enrollment center, you will be required to fill out an Aadhaar Enrolment Form. You can download the form in advance from the UIDAI website.
- Have your child’s photograph taken: The enrollment operator will take a photograph of your child.
- Submit the documents and form: Submit the completed form and all the required documents to the enrollment operator.
- Collect the acknowledgment slip: You will be given an acknowledgment slip containing your child’s Enrollment ID (EID). You can use this EID to track the status of your child’s Aadhaar card application online.
Important things to remember:
- It is free of cost to apply for a Blue Aadhaar Card.
- The Blue Aadhaar Card is valid only until the child turns 5 years old.
- Once the child turns 5, their biometric information (fingerprints, iris scans, and facial photograph) must be updated on the Aadhaar card. This can be done at any Aadhaar Enrolment Center.